Tuesday, July 12, 2011

At least it isn't bind weed...

Last year I decided to plant pole beans on the fence panels supporting my tomatoes. The tomatoes had a head start and the beans didn't take over the space until the tomatoes had slowed down. It worked well so I followed the same plan this year. One of the three squares of tomatoes was starting to be overtaken this year by the beans. Those beans seemed much more aggressive than I remmembered. I planted beans late again, and I noticed a bunch of them self seeded and came back on their own. I let this go thinking at least I'd have lots of beans, until the beans started to flower. Morning Glories! The leaves are very similar, but the morning glories are heart shaped versus spade shaped. I remembered that I had a couiple of rogue morning glories in that square last year too. They must have self seeded and overtook the tomatoes. I spent a half hour tearing out the morning glories. At least it's not it's ugly cousin bind weed!

2 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to me last year. I thought I had planted bush beans, but no they were pole beans, Turns out they were morning glories. Sneaky little devils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. my comments keep getting posted as from "Winona Community Garden", but it's just me, Jan. Can't figure out how to change it without changing the name of the garden blog.

    ReplyDelete