NOVEMBER 27, 1:00
All plots need to be winter-ready by this day.
Any plots that are not winter-ready, will be cleaned up for you
and you will forfeit your deposit.
Here is a reminder of what it means to be "winter-ready":
- Remove all trellises, stakes, tomato cages, decorations, buckets, sheets or other ground covers and store away for the winter.
- Harvest or compost all remaining squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, leeks, etc.
- Pull up all dead plants and compost them or use them for mulch on your plot.
- Many of you have carefully piled your dead plant material in the corner of your plot to use for compost/mulch. (thank you! thank you!). It's now time to spread it around on your plot so that it is no more than 6-12" high (1st choice), or put it in the north compost bin.
- Pull all vines from the fence.
- Some of you have let broccoli, etc, go to seed. If you are wanting to save seed for next year, harvest it now. If not, pull it and compost it.
- Onions, garlic, carrots, etc. intended for spring harvest may stay.
- Cut back perennials in the flower strips or plots that are getting rangy. Also, remove and compost large plants like sunflower stalks.
- If you want to put in a volunteer hour or two, stomp down the south compost bin, When this gets done, there are sheets of metal to cover it with.